Skip to main content

Central Mass Lyme Conference


Saturday I had the opportunity to attend the Central Mass Lyme Conference. I'm grateful that it happened to be so local to me (45 minutes away) and was so inexpensive ($10). For each hour, there were several speakers, so unfortunately I wasn't able to see everyone I would have liked to see, but I still learned a lot. I also got to spend the day with a new friend I met, who is also battling Lyme and happens to live on the same road as me. Small world!

I was able to see Lori Dennis, author of Lyme Madness, discuss the politics of Lyme and her passion that has come from helping her son battle Lyme for the last five years. During the Q & A at the end, I quickly came to realize I was in a room full of people just as angry as I was. Most of them had Lyme themselves, or loved someone suffering from it. It honestly felt encouraging to be in the same room as even just a few of the thousands of people fighting against this. With an illness as lonely and isolating as Lyme can be, it felt good to know without a doubt I am not alone in this fight.

George Popovici, author of Angels Walking With Us, gave a great talk about Emotions & Chronic Illness. After 8 years and 42 doctors (42!!!) he found out he was suffering from late-stage, chronic Lyme disease. His story is a perfect example of someone who used what life gave him, and turned it into something for good. He spoke of love and laughter as healing forces. I especially loved the reminder of the mind/body connection. Life is full of peaks and valleys; when you're in a valley, always look ahead for the next peak. Don't allow your sickness to define you! Visualize yourself being healed, and never stop moving forward. I left feeling very encouraged.

My favorite talk was by Dr. Urma Dhanabalan, titled "Treating Lyme, Cannabis, & the Endocannabinoid System." She calls cannabis the exit drug, because so many people, once treating with cannabis, can rid themselves opioids and other pharmaceuticals. 5,000 years ago, Cannabis was being used medicinally in China. By the 20th century, over 100 papers about Cannabis were published in Western medical journals and cannabis preparations were available at most pharmacies. Yes, cannabis was legal in America. (Am I the only one who didn't know that?!) Beginning in 1915, states began adapting laws to prohibit cannabis. In 1937, it officially entered prohibition, where it remains today. The United States government actually has a US patent on all uses and applications of cannabinoids. Besides the history, Dr. Uma also spoke of the medicinal benefits of the plant. Cannabis has 20 times the anti-inflammatory power of aspirin, and 2 times more than hydrocortisone. I was so fascinated, and have been continuing to research. The potential this plant has is incredible.

I also was able to meet some of my Lyme sisters face-to-face, and got some info on new products. Overall, it was a great day of learning.


Comments