Skip to main content

Reflections on 2018

My annual tradition is to use the last few days of the year to reflect on the passed year, and put into place goals for the coming year. At the close of 2017, I promised to focus my energy on doing what's best for myself and my body in 2018, and overall I am extremely happy and thankful for how this year went.
Physical health...
I went into 2018 still on several antibiotics and pills, which got me to about 70% better. In June, I made the decision to get off of all antibiotics and switch to seeing an herbalist and treating with herbs. It was truly one of the best decisions I've ever made, though a bit scary. I met with Emily at the beginning of July. By November, I considered myself 90% better. Unfortunately, December has been a highly stressful month, and I've regressed and flared a bit. But I'm staying positive and moving forward, remembering that healing isn't linear. I've continued to lower my thyroid meds, and hope to soon have my hypothyroidism completely in remission. 
In July, I also began intermittent fasting after researching the health benefits. At that point, I was at the heaviest I've ever been while not pregnant. My inflammation levels were still pretty high which made it nearly impossible to lose weight. I also began following a paleo diet. In two months, I lost 25 lbs. I also experienced a huge reduction in inflammation and symptoms. I've kept the weight off and continued to do intermittent fasting.
All year I kept up with regular exercise. It looked different than regular exercise has in the past...usually only 2-3 days a week, but as I said, I focused on doing what's best for my body, and pushing too hard caused pain so I took it very slow. In mid-November, I decided to start doing yoga at home again, and have been doing it daily ever since. This has had a positive effect on my mind as well as my body, and I plan to continue a daily yoga practice into 2019. 

Mental & emotional health...
This year was a year of tremendous personal growth. I came to a place of acceptance of my chronic illness, and was able to focus on the many positives that have come from it. I gained the strength to say goodbye to draining friendships and say no to toxic people and situations. I also came to a place of truly loving and appreciating my body, which is something I've sought after my whole life. I made some amazing friends who like me for who I am, not who I pretend to be. I've really become comfortable with who I am, and many may say I've changed, but I feel more myself than ever before. 

Financially speaking...
I'm so thankful that this year we've been working on pulling ourselves out of the hole Lyme treatment put us in. With us both seeing the same herbalist, treatment is much more affordable. We are working to pay off the rest of our small debts and should have them paid off before the spring of 2019. 

Other fun highlights...
One of the best weekends of my life was this passed August. I won tickets to not only see Shinedown in Hartford, but to also meet them! So Justin and I fulfilled a long-standing dream of meeting and having our photo taken with the band we've loved for 15 years. The following night I attended their concert in Mansfield, where I had floor tickets, and so I got to experience the show (again) front and center. I also got to see Godsmack for the first time, and went to see Breaking Benjamin for a second time as well as 5FDP. In addition to those 3 shows, I went to four more concerts last summer. 
In August we went on a family vacation to Carolina Beach. We love visiting the North Carolina coast, and had a great time.

After a failed attempt in 2017, this year's vegetable garden did very well. I grew around 16 watermelons, plus cherry tomatoes, green beans, sugar snap peas, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries, and more. I have big plans for my 2019 summer garden. 

I got another tattoo in May, for my birthday. The laurel crown is a symbol of victory, representing my fight against Lyme, The ocean wave is for my home state of Rhode Island ("the ocean state") the mountains represent my love for mountains, and the arrows are a representation of my four children and my love of nature. This month I also had my nose pierced, which I've been wanting to do for a long time. 

Again, overall I am so thankful for how 2018 went. I really feel very blessed and I look forward to seeing what 2019 holds. 

Comments